So you may remember from an earlier post that I bought the type 9 blind, as it had no gear lever. I bought a quaife quick shift and having bolted it in, found that every gear was really crisp and easy to find…except for 2nd!
I remembered this was an issue when the car had its original engine so decided to do some research into the issue. It turns out that the main culprits are either the synchro has failed or the plastic gear lever saddle has worn away.
Always keen to explore the cheapest option first I discovered you can get a replacement brass saddle, although not entirely cheap for what it is, compared to a syncro rebuild it was worth a try! Demon tweeks / merlin etc all sell them, but the cheapest I found was from Steve Perks at http:// http://www.spcomponents.co.uk £20 Inc Vat and postage.
You can see below that the plastic version I removed had lost its lug.
Its simple enough to remove the saddle with a pair of needle nose pliers, leaving the following…
I then put a little bit of grease on the inside of the saddle to keep it in place, and lowered it into place.
Now the description says that the tips of the saddle should be crimped over slightly, however I couldnt for the life of me find either the space or strength to do so. Once the gearlever is on the saddle cant go anywhere, so ive decided to leave it as is, we’ll see what happens over the life of the car I suppose.
So the million dollar question, did it work? The answer yes! 2nd now comes nice and easily just like the others.
Managed to grab a secondhand but never used quaife rose jointed gear lever. Also bought one of the white nylon gear knobs to go with it. Hoping to get out into the garage tomorow to check the gearbox mechanism for the first time.
So, I think ive been here before! Having sold all the parts I thought i wouldnt need for the klde I now find myself in the position of needing some of them back.
I started the hunt for a type 9, and it wasnt long before one came up on Gumtree only 20 minutes down the road from work. It didn’t have a gear lever so I was unable to check the mechanism, but it looked clean enough and there didn’t seem to be much end float in the main shaft.
Lets hope i haven’t bought an expensive paper weight!!
I don’t seem to have a picture to show, so I’ll try and take one tomorow and upload it.
Just got some of the rear suspension / axle bits back from the powder coaters. Decided I would get them done in satin rather than gloss, and I think it looks pretty good. Total cost..£30.
Also decided to replace all the bushes at the same time as they were puahong on for 15 years old! I decided to go with a direct replacement of the originals that Fisher fitted. I contacted Steve at fury sports cars and he wanted £12.00 ea. Instead I managed to track them down for a smidgen over £4.00ea from
The ones needed are BP636/2 which have a 1/2″ diameter centre hole. This then led to another conundrum…
Fisher have used 12mm bolts in 1/2″ holes, meaning that there is a bit of play in all the suspension components. No one knows why it was done this way, but it is well know within Sylva circles as an issue. A quick trip to the Bay of E and a 1/2″ hand reamer is on its way for a very reasonable £7.00 delivered.
When it arrives I’ll make all the suspension points on the chassis 1/2″ and place another order with Namrick to replace the 12mm bolts.
**Edited from 13mm to 12mm!