All interior panels are now completely finished. Unfortunately I have learnt the hard way that a sharp drill is imperative when drilling nice holes….although it seems ridiculously obvious having now written it down!
A couple of the holes have elongated a bit, but luckily they will be out of sight once body etc is in place.
Im not concerned about the knock on effect of the rivet holding properly in these places as I intend on tiger sealing all panels as well as the rivets.
So you may remember from an earlier post that I bought the type 9 blind, as it had no gear lever. I bought a quaife quick shift and having bolted it in, found that every gear was really crisp and easy to find…except for 2nd!
I remembered this was an issue when the car had its original engine so decided to do some research into the issue. It turns out that the main culprits are either the synchro has failed or the plastic gear lever saddle has worn away.
Always keen to explore the cheapest option first I discovered you can get a replacement brass saddle, although not entirely cheap for what it is, compared to a syncro rebuild it was worth a try! Demon tweeks / merlin etc all sell them, but the cheapest I found was from Steve Perks at http:// http://www.spcomponents.co.uk £20 Inc Vat and postage.
You can see below that the plastic version I removed had lost its lug.
Its simple enough to remove the saddle with a pair of needle nose pliers, leaving the following…
I then put a little bit of grease on the inside of the saddle to keep it in place, and lowered it into place.
Now the description says that the tips of the saddle should be crimped over slightly, however I couldnt for the life of me find either the space or strength to do so. Once the gearlever is on the saddle cant go anywhere, so ive decided to leave it as is, we’ll see what happens over the life of the car I suppose.
So the million dollar question, did it work? The answer yes! 2nd now comes nice and easily just like the others.
Bought a few bits over the last couple of days, nothing significant but as they came up for a good price It made sense to grab them. Also picked up a set of gsxr throttle bodies, but ill do a seperate post about those when they turn up.
Laranca Engineering weld on quick release steering hub:
Tow strap for when I finally get the car finished and out on track!
First panel laid up and drilled today. I hadnt charged the battery, so just about managed to complete this before it died on me. I’d heard that this can.be quite a fiddly job when using standard G-clamps, the panel can slip whilst drilling. Instead I bought some Cleco panel pins which you can see in the picture. They are a temporary fastener and made the job a piece of piss.
Feels good to be making a different kind of progress and knowing once all the panels are drilled then the chassis will be going off to the powder coaters.
When I was going down the v6 route I cut out all the old type 9 gearbox mounts. As they fouled the mx5 box and welded in a new plate (which you can see on the left of the picture).
Obviously that now had to all be reversed, so today I finished the final bit of welding on the chassis and put back in the steel that the type 9 mounts to. This is the same as the standarsd fisher set up and is 25mm x 25mm steel angle.
With all the welding done, im going to concentrate on drilling the panels so that I can get it ready for powdercoating. I picked up some Clecos the other day which will hopefully make the job a bit easier.
I’m undecided yet as to how I want to finish the interior. Originally I was just going to get the panels powdercoated to match the chassis, but I am now thinking about some sort of interior trim. Albeit it needs to be waterproof due to the aeroscreen and no wet weather gear option.
Managed to grab a secondhand but never used quaife rose jointed gear lever. Also bought one of the white nylon gear knobs to go with it. Hoping to get out into the garage tomorow to check the gearbox mechanism for the first time.